Using lighting to enhance physical security at your site.
Lighting can make an important contribution to physical security. It can be used inside and outside your facility to reduce risks and increase safety.
When you’re designing a site, consider what you need to achieve with your security lighting. For example, you might need to:
- deter unauthorised entry
- help guards conduct patrols
- illuminate areas with CCTV coverage
- provide employees with safety lighting in car parks.
Motion detection devices can also be set up, so any detected movement activates lighting or CCTV (or both). Make sure any lighting you use meets the illumination requirements of any CCTV systems you have installed.
- IES-G-1-03 Guidelines on security lighting for people, property and public spaces
- National Guidelines for Crime Prevention through Environmental Design
Ministry of Justice, 2005
- Designing out Crime: Crime Prevention through Environmental Design
Australian Institute of Criminology
Page last modified: 2/10/2018